Tuesday, January 14, 2014

curly hair adventures

Hey everyone! I hope those of you taking finals this week are surviving. Only THREE days to go and I know you can make it! 

I am posting a short snapshot/image of a memory I have from when I was little. This is an excerpt of a journal that I wrote for my English class. The journal prompt was "write about the history of your hair," which was quite the perfect prompt for a girl with curly hair.




I am bundled up in a lilac coat on a tractor ride in autumn. My hair is rolled in tight, spring-like, youthful locks in such juxtaposition around my small five-year-old face. There is a glow in my eyes that reflects the state of my hair, tangled and excited, from the past event of walking aimlessly through a cornstalk maze and from my future plan to pick the perfect round pumpkin. I’ve never been to a pumpkin patch before and when I see it, it looks like a picture. There are so many pumpkins- orange, cream, yellow, round, oval, and misshapen. After hopping out of the wagon and brushing the golden strands of hay off of my blue overalls, I walk around with my other wide-eyed friends in search of an eligible gourd. I choose the pumpkin that is the most round with the greenest stem; a stem that is sturdy so that I can hold it in my kindergarten hands that are only good for painting and playing with toy dinosaurs. After choosing it, I brush the light dirt off of the pumpkin’s sides and it is mine. I hold it tightly against my coat and my mom lifts me back into the tractor where my friends and I giggle and compare our new treasures.


Thanks for reading! Have a wonderful day!

- Emily F.

No comments:

Post a Comment