Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Lists about journaling (Dani Burton)


Last month I made a resolution to journal every single day.

Reasons I wanted to commit to journaling:
  1. To work through some stuff
  2. To keep myself thinking creatively without any English in my schedule
  3. It’s what you hear writers should do to develop their voices/point of view/why do they say that? And they also say to read every day, which I should probably also be doing
  4. My journal is fun to reread so I never forget how I felt at different points in time and realize how much I have actually grown. I started my journal in sixth grade so some of the early entries don’t even sound like me! Even my handwriting has totally changed. It’s cool to see
  5. Apparently I love talking (slash writing) about myself
  6. It’s a better use of my time than watching American Idol… even though that’s pretty good (anyone else hoping to see Jena and Alex in the finals?)
Why haven’t I journaled every day, then? I keep my journal right next to my bed, for Pete’s sake. (All I even expected of myself was one side of a page a day.)
Well maybe I think I don’t have anything different to say each day. But I do because I already journal about nothing. Real talk, what I actually write:
  1. Titling each entry. Sample: “wed. mar. 18, 2014 10:47 am. sitting on a computer in the library.” Yes, I started including where I’m writing the entries. When I flip back through them I like to picture myself writing them.
  2. I talk about the people and TV and classes and projects on my mind.
  3. Anxiety. You may know that complaining is one of my favorite pastimes; I can always agonize over college for at least a front and back. First I complain, “Now it’s only 9 days until I hear back” or whatever updated time. Insert more expletives and frustration.
  4. Speculations about my mental health
  5. Signing it. I have never actually told anyone about this, but I sign, “Always, Dani” (in place of, “Love, Dani” or something) and put a music lyric by it. (I don’t know if I even like it, but it’s what I do.)
What I think someone reading this could get out of journaling:
  1. Understand yourself and really know yourself (I believe firmly in self-awareness and apparently adverbs)
  2. Practice writing. Usually when you have assignments, you have that period of working up to the content that is actually valuable, but in a journal there’s no pressure or urgency. Just write, “Why did I want to journal in the first place? Dani is kind of lame. This journal is lame. Look, a whole line and a half done. I’m magic.” Then try to write something useful.
  3. No pressure means you can write about anything. You can work though stuff you’re kind of ashamed of or don’t have anyone to talk to about. You can make a bunch of lists and feel better about stuff.
  4. Unwind
  5. It feels like an accomplishment to write and after time passes you have a piece of yourself to flip through and look at all the lists and formats and colors of all the old entries.

The more you know! Have a great day! Hope this post inspired you a little, maybe.
Always, Dani
You’re losing your words, we’re speaking in bodies ["Settle Down," The 1975]

No comments:

Post a Comment