Sunday, November 30, 2014

The Muse of Procrastination

Last Monday, the power at my house was out for nearly eight hours. Fortunately, about four of those hours coincided with daylight. So, since it was a school night, I was working on homework. I had finished everything except for English 11 AP journal for the day. It was a free write, and I wanted to come up with a really good prompt / topic. The journal revision would be due on Wednesday; this was my opportunity to come up with something incredible to turn in.

I sat down - or rather jumped down - on my bed, stretched out on my stomach, crossed my ankles, and thought about what to write. I tapped my pencil against the notebook, looked out the window, twirled my hair around my finger. Now, not sure if you know this, but I love to design things, especially rooms and houses. I had had a new house design in my head for days but hasn't had the motivation or time to draft it on paper. Obviously, instead of working on the journal, I jotted down a sketch of the house. This absorbed me for quite a while. When I realized just how desperately I was procrastinating on this simple assignment, I decided I needed liquid inspiration in the form of tea. I flew downstairs, English 11 journal and creative comp journal (from last year) both tucked under my arm. Once I was situated in the sun-flooded kitchen with a veritable bowl of holiday tea (by the by, 10/10 would recommend holiday tea), I flipped through my creative comp journal and read the various prompts. I came across at least three things that would make a great start to a poem - but no: I had to focus on this free topic journal, not poetry. I continued to think and was overwhelmed by the atmosphere of the kitchen: the light, the tea, the colors, the warmth. This would be great stuff for another poem, I thought. Hurriedly, I scribbled down some words that captured the scene. Mentally closing the poetry section of my brain, I turned back to the task at hand... Only for my mind to stray to yet another distraction: piano. Fortunately, or unfortunately as I thought then, I soon remembered that this was impossible since my piano is electric and I was lacking - you guessed it - electricity. I nursed my tea, looking out the kitchen window and not writing a single word on the page open before me. My tea eventually depleted, I trudged back upstairs to my room and fell face down on my bed. "Forget it," I said, and threw my hands in the air. (I just want to point out that I was still face down on my bed when I threw my hands in the air. Yeah, I don't recommend it. (Unlike holiday tea.)) With that excellent devil-may-care attitude, I buckled down and wrote about whatever for ten minutes.

The point I'm trying to make here is not a how-to guide on procrastinating on the actual easiest assignment ever. (I wonder how many people I've fooled...) The point is that, while I am definitely a big fan of technology, sometimes it gets in the way of my creativity. It's so much easier to fall into another mindless website for hours instead of doing something that I really want to do but that takes effort. Part of it, of course, is the fact that I was trying to avoid writing the journal. But the bigger part is that said procrastination inspired me to work on things I hadn't for a long time. Additionally, I came up with a to-do list of creative things that require wifi. Have I accomplished everything on that list now that I've had power for a week? Are you kidding? Of course not. I got sucked back into the world of 2014 when I went to ballet at 7 on that same Monday. But, even though I haven't checked everything off that list, those eight hours without power prompted me to check off a few.


In other news, we are officially into Christmas - and Hanukkah - and just holiday in general - season! So, in the spirit of that, not only do I recommend holiday tea, I also would encourage you to listen to Straight No Chaser's Christmas album (Christmas Cheers), their Christmas Can-Can and Twelve Days of Christmas in particular. I promise, the Twelve Days of Christmas is not what you're expecting. 

Hope everyone is enjoying their last bit of break!

~ Maria




No comments:

Post a Comment