Sunday, December 7, 2014

Amazing Adventures


Hey everyone!

            I’m sorry for my absentness in November…things are always so crazy this time of year, but they were especially crazy for me around Thanksgiving time. I was incredibly lucky because I got to go on a trip with my family to visit my brother, who has been studying abroad in Santiago, Chile since July! It was an amazing trip, filled with delicious food, beautiful sites, and so many new cultural experiences.
            We were there for just under a week, but we saw absolutely everything we possible could. In sunny Santiago, we gazed at palm-tree filled parks and quiet neighborhoods along side bustling restaurants and glittering skyscrapers. We meandered through my brother’s Universidad campus, ate unbelievable pork sandwiches with his host family, and rode up a (slightly rickety) cable car to the top of a hill to look out over the entire city, which is humongous and home to more than seven million people.
            We also travelled southward down the coast to the island of Chiloe, which is the second largest island in South America. It was breathtaking–I’ve never before seen such vivid green hills and calm blue-gray water. Colorful farm-houses and grazing cows dotted the countryside, and mussel farms floated at the water’s edge. I felt like I was looking at a postcard! On the island, we were able to visit so many beautiful seaside towns, all of which were filled with a rainbow array of houses. We explored markets filled to the brim with colorful handmade goods and local homemade foods (especially seafood empanadas…mmmm). We were even able to be a little adventurous– one day my brother and I braved the chilly waters to go sea-kayaking, which was extremely fun, as it was my first time ever being in the Pacific Ocean.
            We went back to the main land, and then ventured a little north again, to visit a beachside city called Valparaiso, which was also very big and full of life. Nearly every wall or public staircase was covered with creative murals and graffiti–the whole city felt like a giant art exhibit. It was awesome! They even had a mural that said–in English, interestingly enough–“We are not hippies, we are just happies.” I though it was really funny!
            I am so thankful and thrilled to have had the opportunity to travel to such a vibrant, welcoming, and fascinating place, and I hope that someday I’ll be able to go back. I thought I’d share a few photos from my trip…

this is part of the view from the top of the hill in Santiago–it was too big to see all of it from right there!

Chiloe :)




a stand at one of the really cool markets

       - Sophie :)



No comments:

Post a Comment