Sunday, November 22, 2015

Talking Too Much

Last month, I conducted a little experiment and asked some of my friends and family to describe me in one word. Seven out of the eight individuals I asked chose words that described how talkative I am. I won’t claim that I was surprised, but I was a bit annoyed by the results. I have to have other traits. Then again, when I think about it, my babbling mouth has caused me some trouble in the past.
    It all started in kindergarten when I first learned that I could not always talk when I pleased. That was one of the hardest discoveries I’ve ever made. Before entering school, I could speak whenever I wanted, but those were not the rules of Kerr Elementary. Our class used the red, yellow, and green light system, and if I remember correctly I was put on the red light a little over twenty times. I really did not care about what the teacher was saying, so I just talked over her. When it was time to nap, I only ever wanted to talk about the cool shapes and patterns that we made earlier in the day. It turned out that we were essentially forced to sleep during that time, so that would also bring me from a yellow to red light. From what I can recall, kindergarten was when I really started to get in trouble for my talkative nature.
    About five years later, I was sent to the time out room for getting into an argument with my teacher. I couldn’t tell remember what we were arguing about, but it was most likely something very insignificant. I was very adamant to prove my point, but my teacher was not very pleased to be arguing with an eleven year old. Needless to say, writing an apology letter to my teacher really taught me to bite my tongue.
I still struggle with this in high school. There have been countless times in which I wanted to tell someone that they have never been more incorrect, but I’ve learned that sometimes people don’t want to hear my opinion. However, there are times when I still talk too much, and that still gets me into trouble to this day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment