Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Just Some Book Recommendations

Hey everyone! 
I really had no idea what I should blog about, so I decided to recommend some of my favorite books by genre. Hopefully, you can find something here you like! 
Okay here we go...




- Mysteries - 
Mystery is probably my favorite genre, so it was hard for me to pick my favorites. However, I was able to chose my top two mystery series. 

     ~ The Beekeeper's Apprentice (Mary Russell #1), by Laurie R King
          
When Sherlock Holmes retires to keep bees on the Sussex Downs, he doesn't expect to meet his intellectual equal or take on a teenage girl apprentice... But he does. *cue dramatic music*
BKA is one of my favorite books of all time, so if you like Sherlock Holmes and / or mysteries, you must read this. The summary of it may sound a bit cheesy, but I promise that this series is amazing (especially the writing and portrayal of characters). 


     ~ And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily #1), by Tasha Alexander

This series is about a young women in Victorian England who begins unraveling suspicious goings-on out of personal interest. Some of the books in the series are weaker than others, but they're worth a try! 




- Historical - 
While thinking about what books to recommend, I realized a read a lot of historical novels. Here are my top three. 

     ~ The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak 

Narrated by Death, this book tells the story of a girl growing up in Nazi Germany. It takes an interesting angle in the fact that the main character starts out supporting Nazis, because it's what she learns. Her view, however, changes. 
It's a tear jerker, but it's also overwhelmingly fantastic. Apparently, it's becoming a movie. So. Yeah. There's that, too. 


     ~ The Shoemaker's Wife, by Adriana Trigiani 

This book follows the life of Enza and Ciro, who have a minor connection that grows, from their youth in the Italian Alps to their adult life in America. The time spans from late 1800s to early 1900s. 
The writing is stunning and you finish feeling very satisfied, if a little sad (but in a good way?). 


     ~ Violins of Autumn, by Amy McAuley 

Oh, another WWII book! Didn't mean for that to happen... Oh well! Violins is about a young female spy for England during WWII. It's a YA  book, so if that's not your thing, don't read it I guess. It's a more mature YA, though, if that changes your opinion. *shrugs*




- Fantasy - 
If you want some magic or creativity in the books you read, here you go. 

     ~ Graceling (Graceling Realm #1), by Kristin Cashore

In a land where certain people have Graces, or incredible talents, Katsa is Graced with killing (or is she?). When she meets Po, she begins to rethink not only what her Grace is, but how she can use it. 
One of the things I love about this series is how the books connect to each other; they aren't all set during the same time or place, but they all happen in the same world. 


     ~ Wildwood Dancing (Wildwood Dancing #1), by Juliet Marillier 

This is a retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses fairytale, but with a twist. There's a castle, a frog, and a secret since childhood. Oh, and it's set in Transylvania! 




- Fiction - 
Fiction, pure and simple. But good fiction. 

     ~ Just One Day, by Gayle Foreman

Allyson goes on a travel tour after graduating high school, but, in a split second decision, ditches the end of the tour to spend a day in Paris. This one day changes a lot.
Gayle Foreman writes some really stunning stuff, so there's that. Then, there's the fact that this book makes me really want to travel. It's just a really enjoyable book to read! 



- Classics - 
Some classics are over-rated and you wonder why they're a classic. Not so with...

     ~ Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte

Jane Eyre is what made BKA one of my favorites, instead of my favorite (which it had been since fourth grade). I love it so much. If you think Jane Eyre and Jane Austen are the same... yeah, no. Completely different. Jane Eyre has a darker more exciting plot than Pride & Prejudice (to me). So, even if you hate Jane Austen, you might like Jane Eyre. (Hint: it's a great book for October and November (I guess this only makes sense if you're like me and you like to coordinate reading with seasons, weather, places, etc)). 


~~~


Whew! Okay, that's it, guys! Here's a link to a shelf I made of these books on Goodreads, if you want to look at summaries, ratings, and reviews:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/11344168-maria?shelf=my-recommendations

If you want more recommendations, just let me know, and feel free to give me suggestions as well! 

Hope everyone is enjoying their half day / day off :)

- Maria 

No comments:

Post a Comment