Tuesday, April 22, 2014

To Be A Kid Was Delightful

After long days at school, I take walks.  And when I lay in the grass in my backyard or ride my bike for hours in the cul de sac, I feel like a child again.  That’s what I want to go back to.  To eat ice cream and not care if it’s dripping down my chin to my neck.  To run around in over sized t shirts at the park.  I want to go back and remake my childhood, but I can’t.  So now, I will run across the frozen street barefoot and back, put my hair in messy ponytails, and laugh until my stomach hurts.  Because I will make the most of my teenage years.  

As a child, I took my life for granted and I know that may sound cliche but, I never realized how much my childhood would mean to me until now, because I miss it so much.  The thought of being able to take naps in school, play outside during recess, and not have homework makes me feel nostalgic.

I remember when I...
thought the perfect day at gym was playing with the parachute or riding scooters.
bought books during Book Fair Day and felt like the coolest kid in school.
pretended that my toys came to life like in Toy Story.
thought my future was totally awesome from M.A.S.H.

“When we are children we seldom think of the future.  This innocence leaves us free to enjoy ourselves as few adults can.  The day we fret about the future is the day we leave our childhood behind.”- Patrick Rothfuss  

I am pining over the lost innocence and ease of my youth, but it’s important for me to remember the way I regarded the future when I was a child.  Each birthday was an event to be celebrated.  Each holiday was worth getting excited about.  Each accomplishment was a milestone.  I guess I just need to live in the present, reflect on my childhood, and await what’s next in my life because that’s what my childhood me would’ve done.  Cheers to being a kid when everything was delightful.


Until Next Time, Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment