Sunday, October 19, 2014

Hey Tappy!!

Lately I’ve been feeling really nostalgic every time I see adorable pumpkin and scarecrow displays on front porches, little tiny Halloween costumes in toy store windows, piles of leaves on front yards, and giant bags of king-sized candy at the grocery store. And even when I’m supposed to be concentrating on my homework ;), I find my mind wandering back to this…

My favorite childhood memories of this happy, cozy time are of its sunshiney days that were always perfect for going outside and running through leaf piles with my dog, her little head bobbing out from under the colorful mess every now and again; its lazy Sunday afternoons spent sliding down the endless blue slide at Frick Park with my dad; its inevitable trips to Starbucks made on the way home from the park, a hot chocolate and sugar cookie clutched in my hand; its pumpkin carving extravaganzas–straight from the pumpkin patch to the newspapered kitchen table, ready to be proudly carved into a lopsided jack-o-lantern face; its sweet, sweet, sweet night of Tricks-or-Treats...and the all-out sibling battles that would soon ensue over the mountains of candy collected; its layers upon layers of golden-orange treasures, ready to be raked into piles or tied into crooked front-door wreaths; its incredible after school snack–my mom’s amazing pumpkin bread, straight out of the oven and piping hot; its chilly nights and cozy story times, spent curled under a blanket with my favorite stuffed animals...

I still look forward to doing so many of these things every year, although now I’m a little too old for the blue slide (...but I don’t think I’ll ever be too old to run through leaf piles with my dog! :) I feel so lucky that I’ve been able to grown up with this amazing season. It’s so beautiful and warm and inspiring, and I love every minute of it (even on the sometimes rainy October days...) Fall always reminds me that, no matter how stressful classes and activities and everything in between might be, there are always so many great memories to remember–and, of course, endless chances to create new ones.


Sophie :)

No comments:

Post a Comment