Monday, December 30, 2013

A New Book


       Hey everyone! I hope you’ve all been having an awesome, relaxing break! I can’t believe that it’s New Year’s Eve tomorrow and that 2014 is here! So, I was searching online for a little New Year’s inspiration and I came across this quote on the Huffington Post’s website – “We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and the first chapter is New Year’s Day” by Edith Lovejoy Pierce.
       As I read these words, I thought to myself how true they are. Even though it often seems like just another day (and sadly the last day of break), New Year’s Day really is like cracking open a shiny, perfect, brand new book filled with unwritten pages. I tried to picture myself filling up all those 365 pages of 2014 with words and smudges – WHAP notes yet to come, French, lines from my favorite books, recipes, stories I’ll tell my kids and grandkids someday, the information from my driver’s license, SAT vocabulary words, daydreams, songs, smears of hot cocoa, red fuzz from the coziest of blankets, jokes, poems, teardrops, melted snowflakes, sun-faded splotches. I’ll be writing it all, everyday of the new year.
       I think it’s so exciting to be able to picture a whole year spreading out in front of you, with endless possibilities and chances – people to meet, places to go, things to do. And no matter what happens, in exactly a year, it will be 2015 and a chance to start fresh all over again. It’s one of the few things that happens in exactly the same way, on exactly the same day every single year… the clock turns from 11:59 to 12:00 and a whole new chapter in a whole new book begins. :)
       Happy 2014 and I’ll see you next year!! - Sophie

No comments:

Post a Comment